Call Us Today
The Facts About Obesity in America
November 17, 2016
Obesity is an epidemic that affects people of all ages, races and genders. Unfortunately, it is also a socioeconomic issue as we see those living in poverty with higher rates of obesity. We can help stop this issue by educating our youth about the dangers of an unhealthy lifestyle and pointing them in a healthier direction. Below, we outline the issue at hand and we tell you how our services might help:
The fight against childhood obesity is vital to the future success of our country. The data is startling and we need to make changes if we are going to reverse this trend. Here are some facts on the current state of childhood obesity in America:
- 17% of American children ages 2-19 are obese. That translates to about 12.7 million children living an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Obesity numbers are higher in African American and Hispanic children. Both these groups have a childhood obesity number around 20%, while the Caucasian demographic hovers around 15%.
- Children ages 12-19 came in with the highest obesity rates. Roughly 20% of this age group is obese, while 6-11 year olds are around 17%.
Children often don’t have a choice of what they can eat and drink. This is why childhood obesity needs to be addressed with parents but unfortunately, a large portion of adults in this country are also obese. Here is where they stand:
- About 36% (more than a third) of the U.S adult population currently suffers from obesity.
- Some obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type two diabetes and certain types of cancer.
- The annual medical costs for obesity related conditions totaled around $147 billion in 2012.
How We Can Help
The fight against obesity starts and ends with the individual. For some people, losing weight is as simple as appropriate diet and exercise. While others might be looking for a way to jump start themselves into a healthy lifestyle. That is where we come in. At Wall Street Cosmetic Surgery we perform a variety of weight loss surgeries including Liposuction, Gynecomastia and Mommy Makeovers. We can’t change your life for you, but we can put you on the right path.
When it comes to cosmetic surgery, it is important to maintain realistic goals and expectations. Our doctors will consult you on your options, but they will inform you that they are not miracle workers. A combination of our procedures and your healthy habits should leave you looking and feeling more confident and comfortable in your own skin.
To schedule a FREE consultation with Wall Street Cosmetic Surgery, call 212-344-0496 or click around on our website!
Top NYC and Long Island Cosmetic Surgeon
635 Madison Ave, 4th Floor, NY NY 10022
118 Glen Cove Road, Roslyn Heights, NY 11577
Call 212-344-0496 for your free consultation!