Call Us Today
Tips to Help Your Kids Eat Healthy
January 30, 2017
In the United States, our culture has unfortunately become synonymous with obesity and unhealthy living. It’s sad enough when it happens to an adult, but for a child it is even more concerning. As a society, we need to do a better job of helping our youth and steering them down a path to a healthier lifestyle. Here are some tips to help you get started:
Childhood Obesity Statistics
- In 2015, 1 in every 5 school aged children were considered obese.
- The childhood obesity rate in the United States is nearly triple what it was in 1970.
- People who are considered obese before the age of 18 are more than twice as likely to remain obese throughout their lifetime.
- Obesity can lead to health issues like cardiovascular disease, diabetes and even cancer.
Tips for Healthier Eating
- You should NOT restrict your child from eating certain foods. This will only make them want those foods more and it will have a reverse effect. Instead, try discussing healthier options with your child and teach them that healthy foods increase scholastic and athletic performance and it gives them the energy they need to play.
- You should make healthy food accessible in your home. Children are very impulsive and often times they will choose whatever is put in front of them. If you load the front of the snack cabinet and refrigerator with healthy choices, they will be more likely to select those items.
- You shouldn’t nag a child about their unhealthy choices. As we said before, this will only make them want to defy you more. Instead, try offering them healthier alternatives to their favorite snack foods. Instead of french fries, try potatoes. Instead of candy, try strawberries or grapes.
Children and Cosmetic Surgery
When you have a child who is overweight or obese, it can be difficult to try and steer them down a different path. But we urge you to try and use these tips before you consider cosmetic surgery. We often recommend that a child be over the age of eighteen before they consider any type of major cosmetic surgery. As we have discussed in the past, liposuction and other procedures we offer are not designed to make miracles. They are designed for people who want a boost to aid their weight loss efforts. Every patient, regardless of age, should be at a reasonable weight prior to surgery so that the procedure has realistic goals and expectations.
Here at Wall Street Cosmetic Surgery, we are more than just a cosmetic surgery practice. Our blog is here as a resource for you to learn more about cosmetic surgery and to provide you with tips on how to lead a healthier lifestyle. We also have some of the best weight loss surgeons in the country on our staff ready to consult you today.
To schedule a FREE consultation, call 212-344-0496 or click around on our website!
Top NYC and Long Island Cosmetic Surgeon
635 Madison Ave, 4th Floor, NY NY 10022
118 Glen Cove Road, Roslyn Heights, NY 11577
Call 212-344-0496 for your free consultation!