Call Us Today
Surgery Spotlight: Gynecomastia
January 9, 2017
Gynecomastia is a condition that affects men all over the world and for a number of different reasons. In 2010, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons released a study that showed nearly 20,000 men had received Gynecomastia surgery. Some of them were related to hormones, some to poor diet and others just wanted to fine tune their look. Whatever the reason is, Wall Street Cosmetic Surgery is the place to be for male breast reduction in NYC!
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a fancy industry term for male breast reduction. A man could have trouble with hormone imbalance or simply struggle to lose weight in the chest area causing him to seek additional help. There are two ways to go about Gynecomastia surgery and we explore both options here at Wall Street Cosmetic Surgery:
- Breast Fat Removal: Using liposuction techniques, the fat is removed in an effort to reshape the chest. Tumescent fluid is injected first to numb the area and reduce swelling and recovery times.
- Breast Gland Removal: Using a small incision around the lower nipple, the breast gland is removed with the skill of the surgeon. That is why it is important to trust their skill and let him/her do what they do best.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
For men over the age of 45, Low T or low testosterone is very common. As testosterone levels drop, estrogen levels tend to rise and this causes the enlargement of male breasts. Exercise and diet changes can right the ship, but not in every case. Low testosterone is a major cause, but genetics can play a major role as well. Age also plays a factor because older men do not have the ability to turn calories into energy rather than fat, but men of puberty-age can also get gynecomastia. Certain prescription medications and various forms of substance abuse, such as taking anabolic steroids, can also put men at risk.
How is the procedure done?
We have always felt that collaboration yields the best results and the same holds true here. A combination of liposuction and Smartlipo techniques are used to remove the fatty tissue from the breast area and leave as little scarring as possible. Once the procedure is complete, the patient will be required to wear a compression garment 24 hours a day for the first week. The week after it will be 12 hours a day and then within four weeks, the patient is usually almost back to normal.
Why is Wall Street Cosmetic Surgery different?
- We use local anesthesia rather than the riskier general anesthesia.
- This form of anesthesia also allows us to make our surgery costs more affordable.
- We use Smartlipo to fine tune the work we have done on your breasts. Think of it as adding the finishing touches onto a masterpiece.
- Laser treatment reduces scarring and allows for quicker recovery!
To book a complimentary Gynecomastia consultation, call 212-344-0496 or click around on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and developing a personalized treatment plan that works best for you!
Top NYC and Long Island Cosmetic Surgeon
635 Madison Ave, 4th Floor, NY NY 10022
118 Glen Cove Road, Roslyn Heights, NY 11577
Call 212-344-0496 for your free consultation!